Friday, June 19, 2009

Don't make this recipe!

Okay, you have been warned. I thought I would share one of my most successful recipes. But I am warning you, once you make this, you will probably have to make it forever. A friend gave me the recipe years ago and I made it for my family. The next year Hubby said, "Let's take it to Christmas dinner." Well, we did. Everyone loved it and insisted that it was all they wanted for Christmas the next year.

Over the years, my recipient list for this recipe has expanded. I gave a loaf to a guy at work one year and now, in August, he starts asking if I will be making it for Christmas! Last Christmas, I made 14 loaves and 2 bundts, just to give away. (This is not an "easy" recipe, but it isn't very difficult.)
Here it is......

Cranberry Almond Bread

Ingredients:
1 stick butter or margarine, at room temp.
1 ¼ cup sugar
3 eggs
1 Tbsp almond extract
¾ cup sour cream
2 ½ cups flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 ½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 (16 oz) can whole cranberry sauce

Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour a 12-cup bundt pan. (I spray with Pam and do not flour.) This recipe can also be made in 2 loaf pans, or makes 2 dozen muffins.

In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar, then add eggs, almond extract and sour cream. When all wet ingredients are blended, add in dry ingredients. When all is blended, add in cranberry sauce and mix together. (If using a hand mixer, blend in the cranberry sauce with a spoon, so as not to break up all the cranberries.) Batter will be thick. Pour into pan and smooth top.

Bake 50-60 minutes, or until cake is nicely browned on top and beginning to pull away from sides of pan. (You can check for doneness by inserting a toothpick….when it comes out clean, the bread is done.) Let cool 10 minutes before removing from pan. Allow to cool completely before slicing.

Voila!! A most delicious treat!

Now, the above is the official recipe. I usually just dump the ingredients in the order above into my Kitchenaid and let it do all the work. After all is mixed, I put i the cranberry sauce and mix on slowest speed until cranberry sauce is blended in. (But this recipe is easy enough to do without a Kitchenaid. I just have to make a LOT.)
For ultimate freshness, I wrap each loaf in plastic wrap, then in foil and freeze until needed. For gift giving, I take it out of the freezer and let thaw overnight, then put a nice label and a ribbon or bow.
Voila!! A most excellent gift!
Enjoy!! But if you end up having to make this for your entire county, remember, you WERE warned!! LOL!

17 comments:

Helene said...

Cooooooooooool. I think even I can manage that :-)

Would've been here sooner but was battling bad weather. I work not far from O'Hare and I am sure something close to a tornado blew through this morning.

Helene said...

Better yet, can I just move close to you and receive one as a gift? :-)

Frances said...

Sure, Helene, move on down. We are supposed to have temps near 100 next week. Can you handle it??

Hope you don't get any more bad weather!

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

Woah... that is serious.... Man, cranberry almond bread!!! Just reading the title makes me drool! Wow! I'm bookmarking it, then making it later, and hiding it to keep to myself!! :-)

Frances said...

Trust me, Valerie, if you share it, you will have to make more.....lots more!

Thanks for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

This sounds wonderful!!! I'm going to have to make this one when it gets cooler here. It's 90 and it wonderful.
I missed stalking you terrible. I was having withdrawals.

Frances said...

SonyaAnn....I thought you were not loving me anymore! Then I remembered that you had to spend time with your family. LOL!

This recipe is awesome! Your family will love it...trust me!

Jennifer-A Quest for Cents said...

Thanks for telling me NOT to make this recipe it looks de-lish... AND I have a bunch of dried orange flavored cranberries sitting in my pantry AND Thanks for coming over to my blog. Thanks a bunch!:D Jennifer

Frances said...

Mmmmm...orange cranberry bread it delish, too!

Thanks for stopping by, Jennifer!

Together We Save said...

Sounds yummy. We do no baking when it is so hot so I will save this for a rainy day or wait until fall.

Anonymous said...

STALK!!!

Frances said...

LOL, SonyaAnn!!

A.Marie said...

Okay, that is it, Frances, I am not coming by your blog anymore, because my drooling over your pics is ruining my keyboard!! LOL

Seriously, this bread looks FANTASTIC....I am going to make it, AND, not only that, I am going to hide it and EAT IT ALL MYSELF!!....just kidding...I promise that I'll share with hubs and kids...hahahaha

Frances said...

Oh, A.Marie! I didn't intend to run you off. I won't cook anymore, okay? LOL!

Desiree said...

This looks really good

Dr. Mom said...

I am definitely going to add this one to the list of recipes I am going to make! Thanks!

Frances said...

Thanks for stopping by Desiree and Dr. Mom! Enjoy the bread...it is really delish!