Hubby has now been on IV antibiotics for 8 weeks. When he got out of the hospital in July, after having an abscess drained and the doc finding osteomyelitis (which is infection in the bone), his infectious diseases doc determined he would need to be on iv antibiotics for 6 - 8 weeks. He has been in a lot of pain for the last couple of months and that has not eased.
A few weeks ago, he told me that he had been discussing with both docs, foot & ankle and infectious diseases, and that he had made the decision to have a below the knee amputation. Apparently, the iv antibiotics are not getting rid of the osteo which is in all his foot and ankle bones. The drugs and the infection are at a standoff and the infection is not clearing up. It has not spread higher, but it has not decreased.
Amputation will get rid of the infection 100% as well as the pain that is in all the bones of his foot and ankle due to the infection. He decided it was time. He was worried about telling me as he thought I would be really upset. Don't get me wrong....I am sad that he is at this stage and I feel for him, but I have been preparing for this day since he had his first foot surgery. Other than this issue, his health is really good, so I am not going to complain at all since Diabetes is such a horrid disease and many people suffer much more from it than we have.
When I asked him how he was feeling about it, his response was, "It is what it is." He is not the, Woe-is-me-how-unfair-that-I-have-to-go-through-this type of person. And for that, I thank God everyday. Not that I would have married him if he were like that, but he could have become that way and I am grateful that he has not.
So, we have been preparing, as much as you can prepare for something like this. He is scheduled for surgery next Monday, 9/15. We have unpacked and arranged all that we have to. There are still some boxes that are not unpacked, but it is Hubby's stuff and he is not worried about it, so I am not going to.
Hubby has been told that the healing time will be about 3 months, then he can get a prosthetic leg. He said one of the reasons he decided to do it now is that we have hit his max out of pocket for the year, so we will have not expenses for this or the prosthetic if he gets it before the end of the year.
He says he is being frugal. :-)
I will post updates along the way.