Monday, September 29, 2014

20 Pounds of Chicken and 2 Dozen Cupcakes

No, that is NOT what I had for dinner last night.

First I wanted to let you all know that Hubby is doing GREAT! He was transferred to inpatient rehab on 9/19 and told he would be there 2 – 3 weeks. He is being released this Wednesday, 10/1. Yeah! The doctors and therapists are thrilled with his progress. And we are thrilled he is getting out so quickly.  11 days in rehab, with 2 of those being “off days” is great. There are people that have been there for MONTHS. I am so glad Hubby is not going to be there that long. I need him home! This is a pic of Hubby on his birthday. He looks SO good!
This weekend was a good weekend for us. I got some rest and was feeling so much better after treating my sinus infection that I got a lot of stuff done at home that I had been letting go while Hubby has been in the hospital. I did several loads of laundry including bed linens and pillows, vacuumed, did a lot of straightening of the second bedroom which is still full of boxes of books and other non-essentials. I just organized it a little so hubby will be able to get to the big freezer in his wheelchair.

The freezer which is totally stocked by the way.  While Hubby has been hospitalized, I have been stocking up on easy to fix meals. He insists he will be doing the cooking again as soon as he is out. I am confident he will, too. He has cooked from a wheelchair before. But still, I got some heat up entrees like lasagna, chicken parmesan, turkey and gravy. Things that only need a salad and mashed potatoes or pasta to make a meal. We also have loads of fish, chicken, hamburger and frozen veggies.

Speaking of chicken…..yes, I was speaking of chicken. I to a great deal on chicken quarters this weekend. $.49/lb in 10 lb bags. I bought 2. Yes, 20 lbs of chicken for $9.80!! Even better, I had a $2 off $10 meat coupon on my card which came off since I also bought some lunchmeat for Hubby. I am counting the $2 toward my chicken. Last night after getting home from the hospital, I threw all that chicken in my giant stew pot and simmered it until done.

In my fridge today is this giant bowl of chicken and stew pot full of broth. Tonight after the hospital, I will debone and portion the chicken into freezer bags and portion the broth into freezer containers. Then we will have chicken ready to just defrost for recipes. I have never done this before, but decided to try am make cooking a little more convenient. We will see how it works out.

I also made 2 dozen carrot cupcakes for Hubby’s return. To keep us from eating them all within the first few days, I have frozen them and put them in freezer bags so we can just thaw a few at a time. We will see how THAT works out. LOL!
I also bought 12 cans of tomatoes to make salsa next weekend. I am going to try making it in my jam maker that Hubby got me for Christmas. I will still can the jars afterward, but we will see if it is a time saver.

That’s all I can think of right now. Happy Monday everyone! 

No comments: