Monday, July 21, 2014

R.I.P. Freezer Food

Friday was a sad day.

After work I went to my girlfriend's house to get our frozen food out of her freezer. I had taken it over there so it could vacation in a comfortable frozen climate while we moved to our new apartment.

I opened the freezer door and immediately knew something was wrong as there was a smell of spoiled meat. Eeeeuuuuuuuwwwwww!!! It was not really strong and cold air came out of the freezer, so we were not sure at first what the issue was. Then we looked down and saw blackberry juice dripping from the bags of blackberries in the door.

Oh no! Her freezer had gone out. No wait...it was going out. We looked at the thermometer she has in there and the temperature was 42 degrees on the top shelf. So we grabbed a trash bag and I started throwing stuff in it. The meat that was in the top shelf was cold, but not frozen, so out it went. But, the boxes of butter I had on the top shelf were still hard, so it was like the lower layers of stuff was still frozen.

And the items in the bottom shelves of the freezer were still totally frozen. So we tossed some and were able to save some. Anything that was the least bit questionable was tossed. I may be frugal, but I am not going to poison us. If Hubby had been there, he would probably have wanted to take the meat home and cook it, but I was not even going to chance it.

Altogether, we tossed about a quarter of the freezer contents, so it could have been worse. Of course, most of that was meat, but oh well. I put the bag of tossed in my car to take to my dumpster as I did not think my girlfriend would enjoy having it in her garage until Tuesday when her trash is picked up. LOL!

We went in to wash our hands before I left to go home and my girlfriend went and pulled her checkbook out of her purse. I asked what she was doing and she said she was going to write me a check for what we had lost. What?!  I told her no way. It wasn't her fault her freezer went out and if I had come over last weekend, all my food would have been good.

I took what we could salvage home and put it into my freezer, temperature 0 degrees. And Hubby and I will be making a trip to the meat market soon. Well he wanted to anyway, but now we have to.

I did buy a bag of chicken breasts at Aldi yesterday, so we have some chicken.

4 comments:

Sonya Ann said...

That sucks! I feel bad for you and for your girlfriend. I would have felt bad too.
And Den would have tried to cook the meat too and I would have been too scared to eat it. Men=diarrhea risk takers.

Frances said...

What is it with guys that don't worry about eating spoiled food? I guess they have stronger stomachs than we do.

McVal said...

Don't you HATE that!??! I'm so sorry you lost the meat.

Sonya Ann said...

Why would they risk food poisoning?