Sunday, February 26, 2012

Old Married Couple's Date Night.

I guess almost 15 years qualifies us as an old married couple. Right?

Yesterday, Hubby offered to go grocery shopping for me so I could rest my leg, but it has finally started to feel better, so I said I would go. He wanted to go, so we went together. First we went by Walgreens so we could pick up some on sale toilet paper. WooHoo!

Then it was on to Family Dollar to pick up on sale cat litter, as well as to stock up on store brand excedrin and mucinex. I was in desperate need of both and it is SO much cheaper there than I can even get store brand on sale at any other store.

We then went to Kroger. The main item we went after was Lloyds BBQ tubs. YES, I know we can make BBQ at home, but Hubby loves these things and he does not ask for much, so since they were on sale AND I had coupons, I planned to get 5 for the freezer. Guess what? Not one in stock. Hubby asked and was told they would get some in today. So we decided to leave and go back tomorrow.

So we headed home. I asked Hubby if he wanted to go get something to eat and he said, "No, we can be frugal and go home to eat." We were almost to the turn in to our complex when I suddenly had the urge to go eat chicken fried chicken. Yes, it hit me out of the blue. There is a great family restaurant not too far away, so I said let's go there. Hubby laughed and kept going. So we went and ate.

It was delish! I had chicken fried chicken, mashed potatoes, carrots and okra. Hubby had grilled chicken strips with onions and peppers, green beans, blackeyed peas and dressing. Also, yummy rolls and cornbread. With tip is was $25. We brought home enough leftovers for Hubby to have a snack last night and lunch for both of us today. So, I think a pretty reasonable meal out.

There was a Kroger on the way there, so we stopped on the way back and they had the Lloyds BBQ, so we were able to get that and the other items on our list. We spent $42 and saved $33. I was happy with that.

 We came home and put up groceries, then just hung out. Hubby and I both laughed about our wild "date night". But it was fun.

5 comments:

Annie at Haphazard Homestead said...

Yep, that sounds like our dates. We had an impromptu date night last night, too. I had planned on making a shrimp dish, and because shrimp thaws so quickly, I hadn't set it out early. Well, when I got it out of the freezer, we learned our freezer is on the fritz. With nothing else thawed out, we decided it would be a good night for Mexican food and margaritas. :)

McVal said...

:) Our date nights are usually if we're driving "ALONE" to a kids event...
We really need to get out more...

Frances said...

We love Mexican food, Annie!

Frances said...

McVal, someday you will have an empty nest, then you can have dates.

Sonya Ann said...

It sounds like one of our dates too. We are so wild that it scares me.