Friday, October 19, 2012

I would never dream of taking her rings…

I was reading a message board today while eating lunch and there was a discussion of families fighting over assets when a relative dies. There were all sorts of horror tales of what people went through. I was amazed, as I cannot even imagine my siblings and I fighting like that.

We have all stated at one time or another that we don’t want our parents’ stuff or money. We want them to use up every single bit of what they have while they are here.

They, of course, have wills and whatever is left when they go will be disposed of exactly by the terms of their wills.

The thing that bugged me a lot was people talking about fighting over their moms’ wedding rings. I know my sibs and I would not do that, as our mom will be buried with her rings. They are hers and she doesn’t have to leave them to anyone.

And we certainly wouldn’t just take them.

They are hers.

Please know, if your mom passed away and left you her rings I am in no way saying that you should not have them.

7 comments:

Annie at Haphazard Homestead said...

I can't imagine it, either. How sad and direspectful. :(

Sonya Ann said...

My parents told me flat out they left everything to my two siblings. I consider myself the lucky one! People like that have nothing I ever want.
That said, I would never try to take anything that would cause a fight. My grandmother left me some jewelery but I never got it. When people act like that, it always comes back to haunt them!

McVal said...

wow. Pretty much when my mother in law dies, (she lives with us) we're letting her other kids come in and take what they want. Then we'll save some photos or things like that and then get rid of the rest. She is a hoarder....
As for rings... my mother in law is obsessed with who gets her wedding bands and other rings. She has quite a collection. I personally don't want any of them.

Frances said...

It is sad when people act like that, SonyaAnn.

j udy said...

I hope my mom spends every dime she has :) She lives with us but I want her to enjoy her money. As for anything she "has" as far as her rings and all she already told us that I get the diamond(the oldest)and my sister gets her wedding ring. But we are really going to bury her with them since they are hers and she has never had them off even though my dad has passed.

Death makes people act weird

Anonymous said...

Frances, I have my mom's wedding rings, I am the only daughter in my family, they are so personal to me, they will never be sold and will be passed down to my daughters. I'm so happy to have them. My mom was married in 1949 and they had little money, I treasure them. I do know what you mean though on my husbands side when their mother died there was alot of argueing and hurt feelings or items.

Frances said...

Judy, if you mom wants you and your sis to have her rings, I think that is wonderful.

Marilyn, I am so glad you have your mom's.

My only problem is people fighting over who gets them. If a mom wants to leave her rings to one or more kids that is her choice. But fighting over them is just sad to me.