Sunday, June 20, 2010

13 lbs of Blackberries!

Through one of my favorite websites, PickYourOwn.org, that I wrote about previously, I found a pick your own farm not to far away that we didn't know about. It is a farm and they only have pick your own produce. I was only looking to get more blackberries, but they also had peaches, peas, tomatoes, cantalopes, zuchini and herbs to pick.

We got up at 6:30 Saturday morning and after taking our time piddling around (LOL!) we left at 7:40 and got to the farm at 8:15. I was all perky and ready to pick, telling Hubby that we would get some peached, too.

So we got 3 buckets, each supposed to hold 5 1/2 - 6 1/2 lbs, and headed to the field. I had offered to get some for my best friend's mom, so we needed to get 4 more lbs than I wanted. We started picking......it was hot. We kept picking.....it was hotter. After about 45 minutes, I was ready to quit! I was SO hot! I don't know why I didn't think to take a water bottle, or some wet towels to cool off, but I didn't.

Hubby, on the other hand, tolerates the heat much better than I do, so kept saying, "We can pick a little while longer." Finally, after about an hour and 15 minutes, I was ready to leave him in the field and go find shade....and water. I think he realized that, so he said he was ready to go to.

We picked 13 lbs of blackberries. After taking 4 lbs to my other mom, and putting aside about a half lb for my MIL...that's all she wanted.....I was able to put up 8 bags of blackberries in my freezer. So, I am set for jam making when the weather gets cooler. Well, some of them will make their way into cobblers.

Here is one of our bags of berries:

I told Bob to never let me do that again! Next year, we will go at the first of blackberry season and not wait until it is boiling hot outside.

6 comments:

Annie Jones said...

I still need to see if there is a place close for us to pick this week. Sorry about the heat, but it looks like you got a good haul. :)

Frances said...

Hi, Annie Jones! We did get a good haul and they are excellent berries. Now I think it was worth it, but I didn't when I was out there. LOL!

Sonya Ann said...

Wow, that is a lot of blackberries! And I bet when you are making jam you won't even be thinking about how hot you were. Well, maybe you will! Just don't forget me when your making the jam!! LOL, just kidding. Maybe!

Frances said...

Hi, SonyaAnn, I am now thinking it was worth it, but I think that is the left over heat stroke.

Next year, we go earlier in the season when/if it is cooler. Otherwise, I will just buy blackberries already picked. Cost be damned!

slugmama said...

If it was me and that hot, I'd have sat my hat wearing butt down in a camp chair with a fan misting water thingy in one hand and an iced water in the other & have 'supervised' hubs....or brought #2 son and his friends along to pick for me in exchange for a stop at Burger King on the way home.lol

I'm jealous thinking about the yummies you'll be having... ;-)

Frances said...

Hi, Sluggy. Thanks for coming to see me!

I COULD have sat down and supervised Hubby and he wouldn't have minded a bit, but I would have felt guilty. I did do some of my picking in a seated position. LOL! It was easier to get the bottom of the bushes that way.

I should have had a hat on, but I didn't. Don't tell my mom!