Monday, February 15, 2010

My Valentine's Day

Okay, so I am a few days late, but I have been busy....very busy. I was off on Friday, since Hubby had his surgery. He spent Friday afternoon and evening resting and letting the anesthesia wear totally off. I spent the afternoon and evening waiting hand and foot on him. LOL! I didn’t mind, since he usually waits on me.

We had stopped on the way back home from the hospital and picked up chicken sandwiches and tacos at his request. Since it was later in the afternoon, I didn’t make formal dinner, we just warmed up some leftovers from the fridge.

Saturday, I had t run a TON of errands. I don’t know why I have not learned the lesson before, but I learned to NEVER, EVER go to the grocery store the day before Valentine’s Day. UGH! It was crowded and busy. I was only buying deals, so didn’t even need to be there! I did buy Hubby flowers. His favorite, Oriental Lillies, and some matching carnations to make the pretty arrangement below. He loved them! (So do I!)
Saturday evening I did make dinner, but for the life of me, I cannot remember what I made. LOL! It must have been good, right?

Sunday, Hubby and I both got to relax. He is in the wheelchair again and is pretty self sufficient, though he cannot do stuff like laundry without getting up, so I did that this weekend. I DID make Valentine’s Dinner, though Hubby told me I didn’t have to go to all the trouble since I had been so busy all weekend.

I still made the requested manicotti. This is it:
It turned out great and I didn’t even use a recipe! I just mixed up a large container of Ricotta cheese, 2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese and a 12 oz bag of frozen chopped spinach (thawed and drained). I stuffed that mixture into 14 cooked manicotti shells. I made 8 with Alfredo sauce (Ragu) and 6, in a separate dish, with red sauce, which I put in the freezer for another dinner. I sprinkled shredded mozzarella cheese on each.

I still have about a cup of the filling left over, so will add that the next time I make baked pasta. Yummy!

I had been racking my brain for days about what to make for dessert. Hubby said he wanted cupcakes. Cupcakes!! So, that is what I made. I did make them a little festive, though.
We put most of the m in the freezer, so we would not eat them all. LOL!
It was a good Valentine's weekend.


A.Marie said...

Oh Yum!! Those cupcakes look delicious!!!! :)

I hope that your hubby is feeling better by now!

Frances said...

Hi, A.Marie. Hubby is feeling better. He is having some pretty bad pain in his foot at night. We don't know why only at night. But the dr. prescribed demerol. Demerol!! If that doesn't stop the pain, nothing will.

SonyaAnn said...

You are a wonderful wife! And the cupcakes looked wonderful. My kids think I'm nuts because I'm always taking pictures of our food.LOL
Is the Demerol helping? Is he doing better?

Frances said...

Hi, SonyaAnn. Hubby thinks he will keep me, so I must do okay. LOL!

He doesn't even blink anymore when I bring the camera in the kitchen and start snapping.

The demerol IS working and he has not had the pain he was having. Thank goodness!